The science of soil-less gardening is called hydroponics. It basically involves growing healthy plants without the use of a traditional soil medium by using a nutrient like a mineral rich water solution instead. A plant just needs select nutrients, some water, and sunlight to grow. Not only do plants grow without soil, they often grow a lot better with their roots in water instead.
Hydroponic gardening is fast becoming a popular choice for many growers around the world due to its more sustainable approach to resource usage than the usual growing methods. Here are a few of its many benefits:
- Provides an edge to the grower for effective control over the environment.
- Yields can be selected as per the requirement
- Root zone aeration as well as adequate porosity of medium is ensured.
- Lower Labour Costs
- Higher Value Crops can be grown in less time
- Hydroponics can reduce irrigation water usage by 70% to 90% by recycling the run-off water
- It reduces the amount of exposed moisture in the growing environment
- It eliminates the possibilities of root diseases